As someone who goes to university but has so far not lived in halls of residence, I am faced with what is in some ways the absurdity of life as according to absurdist philosophy. Being at odds with the majority of my fellow students and also ingrained with a natural instinct to be a bit different and difficult, I have large amounts of time left to my own thoughts and my goals, to go out and have a good time and also to find a relationship or casual sex become a little more complicated as I am not in a group situation. My university experience thus far is probably best comparable to the typical gap year experience of self discovery, but all the while rooted in having to come back every night to my parents' house.
So following on from a quote I took from Camus in my earlier post about each and every life being as worthwhile as the other, I am fixated still then with the idea that whether other people I know who have followed a more conventional path are happier or sadder than I am. If I had lived in halls of residence it could either go very well or I could be faced with the worst case scenario of not enjoying the company of flatmates, several thousand pounds worse off and spiralling into the sort of situation that leads to people quitting university. Even those who seem to fit in well and make a lot of new friends can have moments of realisation after too many binge drinking nights, pondering where they are going with this life. So is the realisation, as I have come to, of one's autonomy in life a good or bad thing?
No comments:
Post a Comment