Friday, 13 November 2009
The good life
A question I always find myself reflecting upon is how good my life is. Can I bracket myself as one of the lucky? An interesting perspective would be that of Albert Camus. In his book The Stranger, the protagonist Meursault believes that 'in any case one life was good as another'. Is there any point to compare our existences with others when one day we will all die and what we have done in our lifetimes consigned to at best history and at worst forgotten? Isn't the only worthwhile thing to do then endeavour to achieve the best in what opportunities come our way and give up worrying about things that you can't get or don't deserve to get? It's hard to maintain this position when all of my life I seem to be surrounded by messages of aspiration, and perhaps subconsciously as a result of being a spoilt only child I feel an entitlement to be in a better position than other people. The truth is I am privileged to be born into a family of economic standing such as mine, and all a family can and should provide for a person is security until they are old enough to take the world on their own. Then it is the role of an adult person to make the best life possible for themselves and then later on their children. So I guess the good life would not conclusively be having more money, more property, better looking girlfriends, but to have the general contentment with one's life and aiming to bring joy to those around you who you care about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you about all these "messages of aspiration" designed by marketing executives in some office somewhere. Its no wonder people start to think like Meursault since you cannot take that fancy car or expensive clothing with you when you go. BUT - some very unpleasant people made it into the history books - and many good people did not - so its not a case of making it into the history books at best - and forgotten at worse. Vice versa in many cases I suppose. So let's not measure human success in terms of human applause( or the trinklets we can buy at the shop)- but lets seek to be "good" - and to do that I suppose we have to at least consider what to be "good" means.
ReplyDelete