Tuesday, 20 July 2010

My wasted days

One thing that comes instinctive to all people is the comparison of oneself to others, whether it be someone you like, dislike, know or don't know. A dangerous realisation is therefore that what the behaviours and life stories of others is is a subjective illusion conjured up by yourself. You might think 'Bill Gates is a successful and happy man who built his own fortune and I should aim to emulate him', but the truth of this cannot be guaranteed, you don't know how happy Bill Gates is and he will most likely have an aspirational figure of his own.
On this subject it's shocking for me to think all the time in my life I have wasted comparing myself to others, even stalking them a bit through the all encompassing facebook and through hearsay to see if my own life compares favourably to theirs. Why not just do the things I want to do, the things I should do and then let other people want to compare themselves to me? Instead of pondering and bordering on obsessive paranoia, just live my life the best I can, seeing my views of other people and their success and happiness can never be 100% true.

2 comments:

  1. Are you all genuine readers of this blog? If you are I'm very surprised and flattered, how did you find my blog?

    ReplyDelete